Wednesday, May 26, 2010

G.I.F.T.S


This last summer I got the opportunity to go to a camp called Gulf Islands Film and Television School (G.I.F.T.S). It was a 7 day long process on Galiano Island where I went with 30ish other people and we took workshops and make a short film. The camp itself was isolated from the rest of the island but it was nice and peaceful. We were put into groups of four, and this year it was decided on age. There were two types of movies people could have made: a documentary or a dramatic short film. I was part of the dramatic portion. For the week we spent 3 days storyboarding 1 day shooting and 1 day editing. Our days consists of lots of work time but also some workshops that would make our filming process easier now and in the future. Storyboarding is one of the most important parts of filming; the storyboards had to look like a comic book because they have to be SO specific that if you were to hand it off to any director they would know exactly what your vision is. It was a little challenging getting actors because we only had a limited amount of people to choose from to fit our characters. Once we found our actors, the second hardest thing we had to deal with was the timing of when we got to shoot the movie. We had to battle against the kitchen staff who had to cook the meals and made so much noise, and we had to battle against the sun who kept playing peek-a-boo in the clouds. The editing process is my FAVORITE part of the whole film maing process, because that is where I can let me imagination go crazy and I can start putting the pieces of the puzzle together. It took my team 20ish hours to edit the whole thing and come up with the final product. There were somethings we forgot to do so we had to improvise, I got to use my music I recorded with Beware The Goldfish (my band) because we forgot to get our own music, and also we forgot a scene so we added a random aspect to our film. It took our team 20ish hours to get the final product, but we were pretty pleased with it. We were finished at 7 AM in the morning, the morning of our premieres of all of our films. The response to our film was better than I imagined. And now I am proud to see my short film on YouTube so everyone can see. So if you'd like to see it its there for everyone :) I hope you like it.....So enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. What's the name of the movie? I would like to search it up and watch it:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That experience must have been so much fun! What is the name of your movie so I can find it on YouTube? I really would like to watch it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you have found a true passion that you should continue to persue! Good luck in the future.
    ps. you should post the video on your blog.

    ReplyDelete